Author Archives: Lyle Litzenberger

Additional info re John Louis Klein (Cline / Kline)

Additional info has just surfaced that illuminates a bit more about John Louis Klein.  His kin have found records of a first marriage for John Louis to a Caroline Detlofson in Duwamish, King County, Washington.  Their marriage date was 13 August 1899.  John Louis and Caroline had a son, Walter Louis Klein, who was born on May 25, 1900, in Seattle, Washington.   A 1900 Census for Duwamish, Washington surfaced Lewis Cline and wife Caroline and a baby boy as yet unnamed who is listed as being born in May of 1900.   Also living with them, at that time, was John Louis’ brother, William.  Other subsequent records possibly indicate that, in 1910, Walter was living in Seattle, WA with his mom, Caroline, who was by then remarried to one George Harvey Allen.  Walter was listed as George Allen’s step-son.
John Louis and Isabel Klein’s only surviving son, Verne, has related that his dad had once owned a dairy farm in Bellingham Washington but lost that farm when a flood wiped out his farm and his cows, which drown in the flood.  He never recouped his loss.  It is not immediately clear whether this Bellingham dairy farm enterprise preceded the Klein’s settling in Silver Valley although it is noted that when he married Isabel in 1907, Klein was listed as being a resident of Bellingham, WA so quite probably it did.

[Above information courtesy of Inez Gamble and Cyndi Raymond].


Wedding Photo of Louis and Isabel Klein (Cline)

Photograph of Isabel and Louis Klein (Cline) (both seated) on their wedding day, June 25, 1907. The lady standing was Cathleen (Cate) Hazel Sharpe, Isabel’s sister.  Photograph courtesy of Verne Cline, last remaining child of Isabel and Louis Cline.

The missing pieces to their story now have finally been found, as a result of the additional invaluable assistance of Cindy Raymond and Inez.  Thank you!                 Lyle

Update re Silver Valley homesteading family – Louis and Isabel Klein

Thanks to the efforts of a recent contributor, Nelson Oliver, we now have a more complete picture of what happened to John “Louis” Klein, his wife, Isabel Klein (nee: Sharpe) and their young family.  It appears that sometime between mid-1917 and the beginning of 1920, Louis and Isabel, using the anglicized surname of Cline, moved with their young family to the southern part of Washington State – just north of Portland, Oregon.  Some years later, they moved further south into Oregon, settling in the general vicinity of Cottage Grove.  There, they continued to expand their family (BTB ten children in all).  Louis passed away there in 1943 (which appears to contradict the 1934 reference to “the late John Louis Klein” which is documented in the British Columbia-Dominion Railway Belt Land File 2457.  Isabel lived on, passing away in Oregon in 1953.


We are geared up and ready to go! Below is the list of farmers markets we will be attending. Please drop by and say hello and check out the book.

June 2,9,16,30
August 18,25
September 15,22,29
October 6,20,27

June 6,13,20,27
July 11,18,25
August 8,15,22,29
September 5,12,19,26
October 3,10

July 13
August 10
September 7

November 10,24

Books can also be purchased at WESTERN SKY BOOKS, Unit 2132, 2850 Shaughnessy Street, Port CoquItlam.